Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Enter the Spemin

I spent some time mining and recommending colony worlds and harvesting the flora and fauna of neighboring worlds for a while until I could equip my ship properly. It was about that time I bumped into my very favourite race in Starflight. They're blue, they have antennas and an ego the size of the Cloud Nebula. They're the blobbies you love to hate: give it up now for the Spemin! The comic relief of Starflight, the Spemin are not much of a threat. After a while, if you're anything like me, you'll tire of bowing down to these wee blobbies and of listening to them spout off about themselves and how disgusting you humans are and just start smashing them out of the sky. A few encounters' worth of that and they'll come crawling to you: "Pleeeeease don't hurt us! Think of our little blobbies back home!" Or, my personal favourite quote in the entire game: "We were only kidding about blowing you to pieces. Smerg, smerg, smerg, wasn't that a funny joke?" I've been off travelling elsewhere in the galaxy, finding artifacts, making trouble, avoiding getting horribly killed by the Uhlek, and now I've returned to Spemin space in a ship bristling with weapons and devices that pretty much ensure the blobs have a snowball's chance in the heart of a Class O star of standing up to me.

God, it's fun to atomise them. I made an attempt to get onto their homeworld, thinking the City of the Ancients was there. While they're easy enough to swat, they call for a lot of backup, and though the backup is as easily dispatched, I could never seem to actually get to the homeworld orbit. I destroyed every ship I could see, moved off, and ended up outside orbital range again. Anyway, it turned out the City of the Ancients is not on the Spemin homeworld. Which is good, because I think the artifact located at the City is one you can't complete the game without.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Loved this game when I was a kid. Never completed it though!

    ReplyDelete